What Does Farm to Table Mean to You?
When you hear the phrase Farm to Table, what comes to mind? Perhaps …
- Shopping close to home, at a farmer’s market, out in the fresh air.
- Supporting local farmers and getting to know them.
- Small trucks bringing food straight from the farm (not tractor-trailers hauling it across the country).
- Just-picked fruits and vegetables at their peak for freshness, taste, and nutrition.
- Finding new varieties of fruits and veggies and using them in new recipes.
- A tasty way to fill up half of MyPlate.
- All of the above?
- When meeting with a client, talk about where the nearest farmer’s market is located and what’s in season (here’s a handy online guide by state). Write this information on the notepad, tear off that page, and let them take it home.
- Send a handwritten note to clients, co-workers, or students – yes, by snail mail! Include a tip about a nearby farmer’s market and suggestions about what to buy.
- Host a photo contest on social media. Ask people to take pictures of their favorite farmer’s market or farm stand, or a healthy dish they made with locally-grown produce. Winner(s) get a Farm to Table notepad (or wristband).