3 Steps to More Whole Grains
September is Whole Grains Month. The typical American diet is high in refined grains, but most people don’t eat enough whole grains. Here’s a 3-step approach to eating more whole grains that you can share with your classes, patients, or clients:
- Simple Swaps: Whole wheat bread for white bread; brown rice for white rice; bran flakes for corn flakes. Our Go for the Whole Grain color tearpad shows lots of possible substitutions for refined grains.
- Easy Add Ins: Add oats to your smoothie; use buckwheat flour for a portion of the all-purpose flour in a recipe; top your spinach salad with a spoonful of cooked quinoa. You’ll find these tips and more in our Grains are for Brains PowerPoint set.
- Grain Adventures: Be brave … try a whole grain you’ve never eaten before! Our All About Whole Grains color tearpad shows pictures of grains many folks have probably never seen. Experiment and see what you like.
- Decorate with our Whole Grains Bulletin Board Kit.
- Give away our Go for the Whole Grain stickers or bookmarks.
- Download the free Whole Grains Rock GIF from the Whole Grains Council.