Health Fair Banner Healthier Choices 123
Learning objectives & benefits:
- Individuals will have a great visual to make three of the most important health choices to combat child and adult obesity.
- The Healthier Choices 123 Banner is very visual and helps families and adults constrained on a time and money budget to make the highest impact calorie choices: beverages, physical activity, higher-nutrient food replacements.
- This Healthier Choices 123 Banner will SHOW your audience 3 simple ways to spend less money, consume fewer empty calories, and be more active.
- The Healthier Choices 123 Banner shows the calorie savings for each of the three points. This adds up to 33 pounds a year or 117,895 calories per year just by skipping one can of soda, exercising a half hour per day, and switching out one apple for one bag of chips. It can only go higher as they do more and switch more.
- This display will be a hit at any wellness fair.
This banner was requested by a school nurse who wanted to help her family audience who is very busy and on a limited budget. She can see that the adults and their families struggle with their weight. She wanted a high-impact, yet easy-to-do display for her wellness fair. We created this upon request and by using the Dietary Guidelines for Americans.
Here are activity ideas to show on your table along with your banner:
Healthier Choice 1 - Drink water instead of sugary drinks and sodas. This tip helps people save money and over 50,000 calories per year just by switching out one can of soda. You can create a simple display on your table by showing the number of teaspoons in a cup or can of soda.
Healthier Choice 2 - Choose activity instead of screens. See if everyone can guess the calorie difference between sitting and moving. It is double or more! In fact, by giving up 30 minutes of screen time and switching it out with brisk walking you can burn an extra 40,000+ calories per year. This is easy to do during the day. And if you walk 10,000 steps per day this amount would be more than double (or about 70 minutes per day)
Healthier Choice 3 - Consume more fruits and vegetables in place of items that are loaded with sugar and fat. Show displays of items that come in bulk-sized bags like potatoes, apples, oranges, and lettuce. Show a salad and compare a large plate of salad with one cupcake on a plate. They can eat more food and consume fewer calories. Value packs of produce help save money, too. And they are easy to prepare. By switching out one bag of chips for one apple you can save 25,500 calories per year. And the more you switch calorie dense foods out with nutrient dense, high-fiber foods, the more you will save.
Dimensions: 48 x 36 inches
- 4 grommets - one on each corner.
In English, for general audiences, ages 12 - 100
There is also a matching 18X24 laminated poster.