Shopping Smart for the Heart PowerPoint and Shopping Tour Program
When you need to look your very best now...
Consumers face many challenges in the grocery store, from overwhelming selection to misleading marketing. This show offers a solution to these problems, presenting aisle-by-aisle tips and tricks alongside effective strategies for deciphering the key elements of a Nutrition Facts label. Help your clients shop like pros.
Learning objectives & benefits:
Shopping smart for the heart is easy when you follow a few simple rules. Take your clients on a tour of the grocery store or walk through these techniques right in your classroom or office. Here are the central questions that this presentation answers:
- How do you read a food label for heart health?
- What do you need to remember in the meat and deli aisles?
- How do you select the best dairy items?
- Which foods are the highest in sodium?
- Where should you begin when you shop?
- What are the best options in the freezer?
- What should you look for in a breakfast cereal?
- How do you choose the right margarine?
- Are there concerns in the pharmacy aisle? Which foods can interfere with my medications?
- What are the sick day rules for heart patients?
Ground-breaking strategies to engage your audience on the tour:
Vicki Adcock Kennerly, RD, is a registered and licensed dietitian who worked for Kroger, and she really knows how to get everything organized for a super tour. That’s why she teamed up with Food and Health Communications to make this amazing program.
A PowerPoint they will never forget:
FOCUSED: This program is centered around heart health: how to get more fiber, how to lower sodium, how to avoid saturated fat and trans fat, and how to add fish, beans, fruits, veggies, whole grains, and low-fat dairy to a daily menu.
TEACH BY TOUR: There’s a simple, memorable, and important message for each aisle of the grocery store.
JUST RIGHT: For grains you get the three most important points: 1) choose whole grains, 2) purchase lower sodium grain products, 3) understand calorie density so you make lower calorie choices (e.g., oatmeal instead of crackers). This format is also followed for each section.
ACTION PLAN: Check out the recommendations for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.
WHY: There are research tips for each section. For example, with whole grains: they are rich sources of B vitamins and soluble fiber and can lower cholesterol, triglycerides and homocysteine level.
EVERY DETAIL FOR YOU: The tour program has over 80 pages of notes and details. We’ve also put together leader guides to help you every step of the way. The kit even includes matching printer-ready handouts for all your attendees.
- Detailed speaker's notes help you present your lesson with confidence. Use trivia, data, questions and resources to embellish each slide and point.
- The PowerPoint brings the store into your classroom or office!
- The rich illustrations and graphics make your presentation stand out.
- All the health messages are positive and easy to understand.
Held-nothing-back research and message integrity:
You receive 12 aisle lesson plans with 82 pages of handouts and leader guides:
- Our shows only feature heart-healthy, nutrient-rich foods.
- We do not have to add processed foods to our materials because we are not supported by big industry advertising.
- Unbiased, science-based information is always at the heart of our materials because we do not accept any advertising funding.
- Food and Health Communications, Inc. is a proud National Strategic Partner for MyPlate.
- Grains, Breads, Pasta, Cereals and Breakfast Foods
- Canned Foods
- Dairy Foods
- Meat, Seafood and Deli Counters
- Frozen Foods
- Baked Goods, Desserts
- Fats, Margarines and Oils
- Chips, Nuts, Crackers
- Condiments, Sugar Substitutes and Prepared Items (we take particular care here in order to offer insights into the best choices)
Featured handouts include:
- Know Your Cholesterol Numbers,
- DASH Diet Guide,
- Heart Healthy Shopping List,
- 10 Ways to Lower LDL,
- Menu Planner for Heart Health
- Number of slides: 60
- Number of handout pages with leader guide in PDF: 82
- 2 page brochure in PDF
- Target audience: Ages 12 - 100
- Approximate length of show: 30-60 minutes
- Get an immediate digital download right now plus lifetime updates to the digital file.
- Double-sided, copy-ready brochure that offers the best tips for each aisle, along with an important label reading reminder
- Pre-tour checklist
- Classroom checklist
- FAST tour option: the Perimeter Tour
- Tour overview: Great summary, quick read
Update guarantee: If we update our materials at any time, you can download the new version for free or get half off a physical copy.